The legend of the Christmas Truce of 1914 told that amidst the fighting of the most devastating and impersonal war to date, English and German soldiers met at various points on December 25th to exchange gifts, sing songs, and reflect on why they were killing their own brothers in Europe.
— References —
– Joyeux Noel, Carlon (2005)
– Tale of 1914 Christmas Day Truce Is Inspiring, Though Hard to Believe, Hughes (2014) – https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/24/sports/soccer/tale-of-1914-christmas-day-truce-soccer-game.html
– Storm of Steel – The Great War, Myth of the 20th Century (2017) – https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/storm-of-steel-the-great-war/
– They Shall Not Grow Old, Jackson (2018)
– Never Forget That World War I Was Also Racist, Zaretsky (2018) – https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/11/12/never-forget-that-world-war-i-was-also-racist/