In the aftermath of the Second World War, Europe – particularly the Axis Power countries – was the prime battleground for dominance between the emergent superpowers of the United States and the Soviet Union. Along with East and West Germany, Italy was similarly divided along ideological lines, with pro-American, typically business-oriented interests, pitted against mostly communist and Soviet-sympathizing labor movements. In between were the fascists, who sought to retain or adapt the system for the post war era that had held power officially for over 20 years prior to the war. Between 1969 and 1980, the Cold War turned hot for civilians and ideologues alike, with estimates putting the death toll over 400 from a series of assassinations and bombings. Amidst it all, the Italian government pursued the ‘Policy of Tension’, which many saw an attempt to inflame the violence in order to bolster the demand for a security state. In America today, the parallels with grassroots conflict and state agent provocateurs is notable if not striking.
Myth of the 20th Century – Episode 225 – Years of Lead
— Brought to you by —
Special Guest Patrick of Surviving Weimerika
— References —
- The Leopard, Visconti (1963)
- La Disintegrazione del Sistema, Freda (1969)
- Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion, Petri (1970)
- Stefano delle Chiaie. Portrait of a ‘Black’ Terrorist, Christie (1984)
- Memoirs of an Italian Terrorist, Giorgio (2003)
- The Syndicate – American Underworld – Part 1, Myth of the 20th Century (2018) – https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2018/03/07/the-syndicate-american-underworld-part-1/
- The Syndicate – Criminal Empire – Part 2, Myth of the 20th Century (2018) – https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2018/03/14/the-syndicate-criminal-empire-part-2/
- Blood Brotherhoods – Organized Crime in Italy, Myth of the 20th Century (2018) – https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2018/04/04/blood-brotherhoods-organized-crime-in-italy/
- The 10 Best Poliziotteschi Films, Dy (2020) – https://www.tasteofcinema.com/2020/the-10-best-poliziotteschi-films/
- Red Army Faction – Der Baader Meinhof Komplex, Myth of the 20th Century (2021) – https://myth20c.wordpress.com/2021/05/23/red-army-faction-der-baader-meinhof-komplex/
6 Comments Add yours
Whoop whooop! Love you guys. Always excited to see a new episode. Also, did we ever find out where Alex went? I apologize if it may be a delicate subject
Less “sensitive” and more “Mr. Reddit LARPS secret squirrel shit.”
Tell Patrick to provide an RSS to ‘Surviving Weimerica’ his stuff looks interesting but it’s all over the place and some of the sources aren’t working or aren’t updating.
Also, I agree with Nick. Still believing in political solutions is a cope to justify compromising with the system.
I have been a fan of Patrick and Myth20c for a while now and its really nice to see this. Thanks buckaroos.
Reblogged this on muunyayo .
It’s hard to talk about the Years of Lead without doing episodes outlining Gladio and the BCCI-Propaganda Due-Vatican Bank to provide additional context. It’s real life Pepe Silvia string on a blackboard stuff that’s actually true